CALENDAR OF UPCOMING EVENTS:
- Next Club Meeting: Friday August 8th. (BOD mtg starts at 6:30 followed by regular meeting a 8:00)
- 4 Wheeler Weekend will be weekend of August 23rd MRC Family Picnic will be Sunday, September, 7th
MEETING: The meeting was called to order by Lou McNett at 8:10.
SORRY IT’S LATE: I was away for a week after the last meeting so the newsletter is late. My apologies for the late newsletter.
ON BEHALF OF THE MEMBERSHIP: The following individuals were placed on the 30-day review list: Tim Brauner sponsor Scott Brauner.
The following individuals are moving to the permanent waiting list: Jim Daniels sponsor Thomas Sparacino, Jim Daniels II sponsor Thomas Sparacino, John Petricola sponsor Frank Ives, Al Clark sponsor Dave Dano, Brian Mitchell sponsor Ken Walker, Steve McCurin sponsor Ralph Gregory, Scott Cook sponsor Scott Betts, and Steve Herlowski sponsor Kelvin Perkins
SICK AND AILING: Kevin Irwins’s wife is being treated for cancer Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
WEBPAGE CHANGES: Over the next month or two the webpage will be changing. We have hired a website designer and you will start to see the changes. The web address will be the same but the web page will look entirely different. This is being done to update the webpage. Please bear with me as these changes take place.
CHANGES COMING: Changes to the rules and regs and the bylaws where read out at the last meeting. I will be sending out a separate mailing of the changes so people will know what we are voting on.
YOUR ATV PRIVILEGES ARE IN JEOPARDY: The landowners have expressed a concern that we are abusing our ATV privileges on club property. Apparently people have been using excessive speed, (cutting “rooster” tails on the roads), cutting new trails though the woods, or around large mud holes. People are cutting trails to their tree stands. There are still people driving through the rivers and streams where there is no limestone laid down. Please do not under estimate the landowners displeasure with the club. Lou Mcnett and another board member had separate conversations with the owners and they both said that this is a very serious matter.
SO FROM NOW ON
- 25mph is the speed limit on the club. DO NOT cut up the road by doing “doughnuts” or making “rooster tails”
- No trails to tree stands. Also, loosen tree stand straps at the end of the season or take the stands down.
- NO NOT ride through any streams or rivers unless there is limestone laid down for the crossing.
- If you can’t ride through a mud hole then turn around and go back. DO NOT GO AROUND THEM.
- Bobs trail is closed
- I cannot stress enough the importance of using good land stewardship while riding on the MRC lease lands. Riding ATVs on lease lands is a privilege not a right. New signs are going up to help ensure we conform to the landowner’s wishes. Read and head all signs.
REGARDING THE LEASE LANDS:
1.) NOTICE: DO NOT cut any standing timber on club property. Even if the tree is dead. You can cut wood that has fallen to the ground but no standing timber. We have had a couple of incidents that have caused the new owners to raise concerns. Please, lets respect the landowners wishes.
2.) From the landowners: DO NOT ride in any gravel pits, or cross streams that do not have either a bridge or the crushed limestone.
3.) Please do not contact the new landowners directly. If you have questions or concerns about our lease lands, please bring them to the club meeting or contact Lou McNett. He will forward the questions to the landowners if he cannot answer them.
4.) Make sure you have ID on you when on club property. Please show your ID when asked and ask for ID. This is our club.
At the meeting it was announced that the roads have been repaired and the east gate repaired.
TIM HOWELL is STILL looking for a co-chairman for roads and trails to help with the newly acquired Williamstown property. The trails are quite a mess and will need a lot of work before we can use them.
WORK DAYS: As we head into the warmer weather there are many opportunities for a workday:
- Tim Howell needs people to clear trails on the Williamstown property as well as the Little John area.
- Kevin Irwin (B&G chairman) has many projects around the clubhouse
- Ralph Gregory needs help mowing the lawns
- Bob Shelmindine needs people to post the property.
- Bill Killam (Archery shoot chairman) needs help with the archery shoot in July.
- We would like to hear from people who would like to provide janitor service for the clubhouse as a workday. Call Kevin Irwin or Lou McNett.
- WORKDAY AUGUST 9th. Contact Tim Howell for a workday on roads and trails. He plans to start at 9am and meet at the Little John bridge.
Phone numbers of the committee chairman are listed at the bottom of the newsletter.
REMEMBER all workdays need to be recorded in the workday log by the committee chairman. You will not get credit for a workday if you sign the log yourself. If you know of other projects you can contact the associated committee chairman and get the go ahead.
FAMILY PICNIC: The family picnic is now scheduled for Sunday, September 7th. The picnic will start at 11:00am. The chairman for this event is Brain Smith. Brain wants people to bring a dish to pass. Brian has not set a ticket price yet as he is working on the prices of the meat. Brian will be asking for volunteers to help with setup and take down of the picnic. This is a good opportunity for a workday. You can call Brian at 625-7035 to volunteer. Tickets will be available at the August meeting. He is also asking that people donate a basket with different household, our sporting good items for raffles and kids games.
4-Wheeler Weekend: This annual event will be held the weekend of August 23rd. There will be a chicken BBQ and tentatively the price will be $4/dinner. This is dependent on the cost of the chickens. Steve Corsett is again the chairman. Steve needs your reservations in by August 14th so he can ensure he gets enough chicken. You can send him an email at Captkidder@Hotmail.com or call him at 623-9429
Annual Gun Raffle: Mark Bishop is the chairman for the raffle and he stated the raffle would start in September. This year it will be all guns. Mark started handing out tickets at the June meeting. He is asking that all money and ticket stubs be back to him by August 15th. Please contact Mark/Janine Bishop at phone 288-4248 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for tickets.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: It was brought to the attention of the club that one member brought on almost 20 guest 4-wheelers on the club property. Per our current rules and regs. to bring on multiple guest you need to get permission from a board member. This rule does not apply to members bringing on family members. The board is currently in the process of submitting changes to the rules and regs. The new changes will include a limit of 5 guest wheelers with one member.
Sportsman’s Federation Report:
The Mad River Club’s support of the New York State Conservation Council is greatly appreciated. This year is the second year of the Albany two year legislative cycle. Please look for and support the added initiative in support or opposition of legislation as needed. The NYSCC policies are all formed from the consensus of sportsmen like the MRC. The supporting voices of the sportsmen helps in the success of
achieving our goals.
- NYS DEC Field Notes: Is an Email Subscription you sign up for that is “Noteworthy News from the NYS DEC Division of Fish, Wildlife, and Marine Resources” For more information go here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/63801.html
- The New York State Register: Sign up for this service and receive email notifications and receive notifications of proposed and actual rule changes in New York. It is broke down by subject matter so it is easy to follow activity pertaining Environmental Conservation – http://www.dos.ny.gov/info/register.htm Questions or need more information contact Chuck Parker at email@example.com or 963-8413
ITEMS OF INTEREST:
- Camp for Kids: Applications for next year are on the DEC website. Contact Dick Brock if you have any questions.
- Hunter Safety Courses: The DEC website has the hunter safety courses listed.
- Club News Updates: As I get club information updates between meetings, please see the club website for this info. Any questions please send me an email or call. (newsletter editor).
- Classifieds: If anyone is interested in selling or buying sporting goods, the newsletter can post the ads. Just drop the editor an e-mail and it will be added to the next letter (Shawn Allen email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 24ft trailer suitable for camping at the MRC. New rubber roof, bathroom and kitchen facilities. Comfortable for at least two. $800.00. Located south of MRC south gate on Bill Sarie’s property (but is locked) If interested please contact Dennis Gardner at 335-0855.
- Kent Taber has a 2000 Magnatrac Hydro 5000C Bulldozer with 6 way blade and backhoe for sale. It’s perfect for clearing campsites, building roads/driveways, digging and moving earth. Great condition- asking $12,000.00 or B.O. Call 387-3871 for more details.
Newsletter Editor: Shawn Allen 343-2546 email email@example.com, Assistant Newsletter Editor Todd Brown 480-5193 Club Officers: President Lou McNett 387-5339; 1st V.P. Dave Dano 625-7331 (Chairman of the Board) ; 2nd V.P. Dick Palmer 882-3295; Treasurer Sherry Ruoff 778-6113; Secretary Mark Bishop 288-4248; Financial Secretary Rachael Pitkin 232-2290 Board Members: Jeffery Mosier 846-5612, Chris Conway 783-1888, Frank Hilliker 298-3004, Larry Yerdon 387-5140, Brain Dano 625-7331 cell 243-1994, , Gary Daniels 488-5575, Bob Shelmidine 846-5054, Ralph Gregory 298-5171, Kent Taber 387-3871
Committee Chairman: Building and Grounds Kevin Irwin 921-9500, Camping Ken Creech 732-431-1631, Trails Tim Howell 963-7330 Work Day Dick Palmer 882-3295, Security Kent Taber 387-3871, Entertainment Committee
Archery Committee: Bill Killam 387-3350
Website of interest to MRC members; www.madriverclub.com, www.oswegocountyfederation.com, www.oswegcountysportsmensfoundation.com, www.nyscc.com
AFILIATED WITH NEW YORK STATE CONSERVATION COUNCIL INC.
MAD RIVER CLUB PRESORT STANDARD P. O BOX 171 PERMIT #22